Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Repurposed Skirt

Last week I wrote about a skirt I loved, and ruined, that I planned to turn into a bag. Well, between chaotic days of flooding, wind, broken tree branches, plus all the usual stuff that comes along with taking care of two little boys all day (+ their dad), I actually got it done. 


If you have a skirt that you love, but can no longer wear, this is a great way to keep it a part of your collection. I started by taking my seam wripper to both sides of the zipper, to remove it. Then I continued down the rest of that seam so the skirt was completely open (I did the same to the lining). I then cut off the waist of the skirt, to expose the top of the pleats, and opened those as well. I saved the zipper and hook and eye closures to use on a different project. At this point I had one gigantic rectangle of fabric. I took the pattern I made and plotted where I wanted the design on the skirt to be positioned on the bag, and pinned and cut all the pieces accordingly. This skirt was made of linen, and I can't even begin to tell you how much pressing it took to smooth the original pleats. I then constructed the bag the same way I do all the others, and ended up with truly beautiful and unique bag. I think I'll keep this one for myself :)
LOVE how this turned out

I added my own pleats, after taking the original ones out of the fabric

This bag is super light weight, yet spacious and strong.


I wore this bag out the other day for the first time and got so many compliments. I am so glad I was able to take a skirt I loved, and missed being able to wear, and gave it a second life.


<3 Domesticated Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment